Getting Started

 Who needs to file a Tax Return in 2013?

  • You have to pay tax for 2013.
  • CRA sent you a request to file a return.
  • You and your spouse or common-law partner elected to split pension income for 2013. These amounts are reported on lines 115116129, and 210.
  • You received working income tax benefit (WITB) advance payments in 2013.
  • You disposed of capital property in 2013 (for example, if you sold real estate or shares) or you realized a taxable capital gain (for example, if a mutual fund or trust attributed amounts to you, or you are reporting a capital gains reserve you claimed on your 2012 return).
  • You have to repay any of your old age security or employment insurance benefits. See line 235.
  • You have not repaid all amounts withdrawn from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) under the Home Buyers' Plan or the Lifelong Learning Plan. For more information, see Guide RC4135, Home Buyers' Plan (HBP) or Guide RC4112, Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP).
  • You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). This can apply if, for 2013, the total of your net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500. See line 222.
  • You are paying employment insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings. See lines 317 and 430.

You can file a return if any of the following situations pertain to you:

  • You want to claim a refund.
  • You want to claim the WITB for 2013.
  • You want to apply for the GST/HST credit (including any related provincial credits). For example, you may be eligible if you turn 19 before April 2015.
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner want to begin or continue receiving Canada child tax benefit payments, including related provincial or territorial benefit payments.
  • You have incurred a non-capital loss (see line 236) in 2013 that you want to be able to apply in other years.
  • You want to carry forward or transfer the unused part of your tuition, education, and textbook amounts (see line 323).
  • You want to report income for which you could contribute to an RRSP and/or a pooled registered pension plan (PRPP) to keep your RRSP/PRPP deduction limit for future years current.
  • You want to carry forward the unused investment tax credit on expenditures you incurred during the current year (see line 412).
  • You receive the guaranteed income supplement or allowance benefits under the old age security program. You can usually renew your benefit by filing your return by April 30. If you choose not to file a return, you will have to complete a renewal form. This form is available from Service Canada.

There are several Forms and publications available to assist you:

Information on other related topics or additional information on filing a tax return, include:

CRA provides a libray of multimedia material.  Related to this topic: